Friday, July 18, 2008

our froggy friend





we've had a great year for visitors this summer. Austin and I have gotten used to the wild animals that seem to wander into our yard, but this year we seem to have become the 'place to be' if you happen to be a reptile or amphibian. Which in my opinion is great and much better than the year of the spiders (one summer we found 2 tarantulas, on separate occasions. and a huge wolf spider that I had almost stepped on barefoot. The image of that still makes me shake in disgust and fear). But as I was saying before the arachnids of my nightmares reared their awful eight-eyed heads, we've had many fun visitors this year. We have found a rattlesnake (okay this one was a little anxiety provoking with small children running around, but our dog is a great snake alarm), 3 grass snakes (one that bit me as I tried to catch it and left a little bit of it's tooth in my finger), a sun scorpion in the kitchen (okay we did have one arachnid, yuck!), but by far the favorite has been the bullfrog that hopped a little too far from his pond and found himself in our yard. He slept over a couple of nights before we found him a new home. The kids really loved to pet him and were very impressed with his jumping skills. Even Fiona liked to pet him (a girl after my own heart), she just got really nervous whenever he jumped out of my hands. So here are some of the pics we got with our new friend.

2 comments:

The Dahle's said...

ok i think the spider summer was the summer that i lived there because we saw a trancula right outside our front door and billy caught it and i think a wolf spider was in my hair.

Cami said...

I'll take the snakes, but I honestly couldn't handle a frog.