Monday, May 31, 2010

memorial day memories

We had a great memorial day. We weren't able to go to Enterprise for the coolest BBQ EVER! It makes me sad to even think about it, next time we're SO there! But we still had a good weekend. We stayed home because we felt that it was time that we needed to get our garden in and get work done around the house. I have to say, Austin is amazing. He worked so hard all day Friday, Saturday & Monday.

He finished the new chicken barn & dog proofed the fence (our dog is such a stinker, 2 of the 4 chicks have wound up in his mouth. miraculously, they've both recovered), he also plowed up the new garden area, moved the raspberry box to a new location, tilled up the weedpatch in the apartment lawn to plant new lawn seed and tonight he's grilling dinner for us. Yeah, I'm the luckiest girl in the whole world.
This afternoon we visited 3 cemeteries and tried to tell the children a little bit about their forefathers. In Salem we visited Grandpa Harry (who Ian is named after), Hannah, Milo, Sherry and Duane. They loved that Grandpa Harry had a tonka dumptruck to hold his flowers. In Spanish Fork we saw Grandpa Cope's headstone (one of wes' names comes from this great man. And in the Pleasant Grove cemetery we visited my father's resting place. I told the children a little bit of what I remember, I was just a little older than Fiona when he passed. He let me help him raise a piglet and even let me name it Wilbur like on Charlotte's Web. And when I found a dead baby bird that had fallen out of its nest, he helped me bury it. I also remember sitting on his lap and watching King Kong with him, the old black & white version.
For lunch we partied with the Cope Cousins at Hatfieldephia (not too sure on that spelling). The kids had a great time. Austin & I hadn't been there for years and they've changed a lot. There was a castle, a playground, tunnels, a witch's house, a tee pee and lots of animals to climb on. Fiona's name was even in the castle because she must be a 'true princess'. It was a great place. Just next year I have to make sure that I bring their swimsuits, there was a fountain to play in and I forgot their swimsuits. Well, wes is not going to let me forget that again ;).








3 comments:

The Dahle's said...

Where is this place? It looks like so much fun!

Weird but Happy said...

Kelly, I am so glad that one out of the three of us have memories of dad. You are so lucky. I wish I could have met him, and made a few memories with him as well. I very much enjoyed reading about what you do remember. Thank you.

Kelly said...

That place looks like fun....where is it? My kids would love it!
We should get together sometime!